Instrumentation info in workpage titles

Moderator: kcleung

kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Instrumentation info in workpage titles

Post by kalliwoda »

Maybe others have had the same feeling, now that literally dozens of Triosonatas and Ouvertures by Fasch, Quantz and Telemann have been upladed from SLUB Dresden (thanks to the efforts of Boccaccio).
I would be wonderful, if one could just find out about instrumentation by first glance - (and the SLUB page is even less userfriendly in that respect than IMSLP!). While the new category walker also resolves instrumentation, it is not that obvious to a firsttime visitor. Drawback - longer workpage titles.
As an example I have added instrumentation to workpage titles of a couple Telemann Triosonatas, and Cambini Symphonia concertantes.

Is this useful or clumsy?
Input by others?
Notenschreiber
active poster

Re: Instrumentation info in workpage titles

Post by Notenschreiber »

I think it would be very useful to see at once which instruments are involved.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Carolus »

I would like to see how effective the new instrumental categorization system is before duplicating such info in the title listings themselves. Theoretically, this should be a much more efficient way to find items for a particular combination one might be looking for anyway. In the case of Telemann and Quantz, the uploaders and SLUB have already helpfully provided the catalog number, which should reduce the actual necessity and utility of such descriptors - which can get to be absurdly long and cumbersome (as you pointed out).
Boccaccio
forum adept

Post by Boccaccio »

I posted my opinion concerning this topic on kalliwoda's discussion page, I also advocate to stay with just Trio Sonata. But maybe someone could change Triosonata to Trio Sonata for Quantz and Graun...Unfortunately, I was inconsistent with my naming scheme and now feel a bit too lazy to do all the renaming alone.
somari

Post by somari »

I have spent hours upon hours upon hours opening page after page to see whether the quintet is Strings, Woodwinds, Brass or mixed. It is absolutely aggravating. Also, If the period of the piece could also be easily known without having to open page by page!!
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

You can easily sort both of those things using the Category Walker.
Boccaccio
forum adept

Post by Boccaccio »

I just wanted to ask if we should now that the general consensus seems to be to stick to "Trio Sonata" without giving the instrumentation, switch back the Telemann sonatas that Kalliwoda had moved initially (e.g. http://imslp.org/wiki/Trio_Sonata_for_2 ... g_Philipp)) back to "Trio Sonata" without instrumentation?
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

That would be fine with me...
Boccaccio
forum adept

Post by Boccaccio »

There is a big problem: The site cannot be moved, as there is redirection from the old name to the new one. So the system complains that the old name, to which I want to move the site, exists already.
kalliwoda
active poster

Post by kalliwoda »

Had just the same experience trying to undo my earlier move (even if it says this undo should be possible...)
Could one of the moderators explain, how to revert to the earlier workpage title???
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Apart from doing it by brute force (i.e. just copying the entire content of the page into the old title, and redirecting manually), the only way I could see to do this was by deleting the old page to make way for the move, which only users with sysop rights can do.