Classical Radio (non-commercial)

Moderator: kcleung

vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Classical Radio (non-commercial)

Post by vinteuil »

I was wondering if people had opinions about their favorite Classical Radio Station (non-commercial)
Mine is a surprise find from North Carolina, of all places: WCPE (89.7 FM), http://www.theclassicalstation.org (no, I'm not trying to advertise for them).
Any others? I already no about WQXR, by the way.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
allegroamabile
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Classical Radio (non-commercial)

Post by allegroamabile »

Any of the NPR stations. One notable one is in Interlochen, Michigan, practically 24/7 classical music. :P
horndude77
active poster

Post by horndude77 »

My home town (Phoenix, AZ) NPR Classical station is pretty good: http://www.kbaq.org/. I don't listen to much streaming music so I don't have much else to compare it with. It's the only classical station in the area.

In a short bit of googling I found this: http://classicalwebcast.com/ which lists a bunch of radio stations.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Unfortunately in my area a classical music station is not reliably receivable over the airwaves, most importantly at my house. Sometimes when I am driving my car locally within ca. 15 miles I can pick up Salisbury University, Rowan University, or Temple University; and, of course, if I'm on a long car trip for vacation, there'll usually be some channel available.

Most of the time, however, local (and often national) classical programming on such stations is disappointing for me, because it tends to consist almost exclusively of (1) warhorses and chestnuts, and (2) otherwise "safe," if sometimes obscure, music that is largely instrumental, and largely limited to the 18th and 19th centuries.

(As an aside, I assume by "non-commercial" you mean "non-profit." I have yet to listen to an NPR station that does not have commercials. Many years ago public broadcasting tried to pass these off with the euphemism "promotional announcements," but a commercial is a commercial is a commercial.)
Last edited by Lyle Neff on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

too bad there isn't much in Delaware.....
vinteuil
Groundskeeper

Post by vinteuil »

That's why I like WCPE and WQXR - they broadcast online (iTunes, for instance)
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
SeanMartin
forum adept

Post by SeanMartin »

perlnerd666 wrote:I was wondering if people had opinions about their favorite Classical Radio Station (non-commercial)
Mine is a surprise find from North Carolina, of all places: WCPE (89.7 FM), http://www.theclassicalstation.org (no, I'm not trying to advertise for them).
Any others? I already no about WQXR, by the way.
I bounce between that and the jazz station just a few stops over. The DJs (can you call them that?) are a bit lame sometimes -- there's one with a tehhibly affected British accent -- but the choice of music is usually pretty good. I only wish they would wander a little further afield than just the era between Bach and the Romantics. They *do* play slilghtly more contemporary work, but not very often.