A searchable database of MusicXML files

Moderator: kcleung

agargara
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

A searchable database of MusicXML files

Post by agargara »

I have an idea for an ambitious project. It started when I got some Bach melody stuck in my head, but could not remember what it was from. The idea is to create a database not unlike IMSLP, but with the files in MusicXML format (or some other similar standardized music notation format.) The main point would be that this would allow searching for actual notes, although there are other advantages:

Advantages of a MusicXML database:
  • Advanced search options: musical motifs, key signature, time signature, genre, length, instrumentation, etc. For example, if you don't remember what key it's in but remember a motif, you can search for it in all possible transpositions.
  • Greater consistency, preventing bad/unreadable scans, and allowing users to format their scores however they like before they print them
  • Scores could be opened and inspected in music notation software, allowing for tasks such as analysis, transposition, arrangement, virtual playback, and conversion to MIDI
One might also be able to add a feature that allows one to hum or play a melody on an instrument, and then transcribe it and search for it. If you had asked me if this was possible a few years ago I would have told you that such a feature wasn't feasible, but now they already seem to be doing it with pop songs.

Disadvantages:
  • Transcribing music files into music notation software takes much longer than scanning
  • Lack of public interest and the difficulty of transposition could prevent very many scores from being transcribed
  • Creating a good, efficient search engine with all the features I listed would be difficult (though not impossible :) For example, it would be splendid if the search engine could search for similar melodies if the person doesn't get the notes or rhythm exactly right. A good search engine would account for these sort of problems, and probably many more that I don't expect.
  • Impossible to transcribe some files (namely, graphical notation)
Let me know what you think of this project; I especially want to know if somebody has already started something similar, since I don't want to waste my time starting to plan something if plans are already in place. Although the project may sound daunting, I think that other projects (including IMSLP itself) have shown us that projects like these are certainly doable, and quite useful once they get off the ground. Also let me know if you think it's not worth the trouble, but be sure to give good reasons why, because I won't give up that easily!
allegroamabile
active poster

Re: A searchable database of MusicXML files

Post by allegroamabile »

That sounds like a plan (especially since I loathe transposing scores by hand) but it seems that it is going to cost money and that is a problem for IMSLP.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

I can't believe nobody else has commented on this. :shock:
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

I sent a PM - musicpedia.org, I think.
Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

Formerly known as "perlnerd666"
agargara

Post by agargara »

perlnerd666 wrote:ah: http://www.musipedia.org
This is perfect, I had a feeling somebody might have already had a similar idea. Now I can divert my efforts to helping this project grow so that people like me will have heard about it!