Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

DaveF
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Nielsen wind quintet

Post by DaveF »

Hello all,

I'm a bit unsure why access to the score and parts of the Nielsen Wind Quintet should be blocked when, as far as I can see, access is unrestricted to all the rest of his works on the site. Since Nielsen died in 1931, and the score in question was published in the 1920s, surely that puts it into the PD in the EU and US as well as Canada? I'm sure a lot of wind players would like to get their hands on the parts for this lovely work - although I'm quite ready to be told that there's another bit of copyright law that I've missed that's preventing access.

DF
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Nielsen wind quintet

Post by Carolus »

It's not PD in the USA, which is why it is temporarily blocked.
DaveF
regular poster

Post by DaveF »

Thanks for the reply. But, at the risk of becoming tiresomely persistent, I don't then understand how Nielsen's 6th Symphony, composed 1925, in an edition published in 1937 edited by a man who died in 1988, can be freely available on the site.

DF
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

The Telmenyi edition of the 6th Symphony is public domain in the USA due to either a failure to publish with a proper notice or to renew the copyright after 28 years. It has been reprinted by E. F. Kalmus and is presently available for sale from them. The Quintet was published with the correct notice and renewed after 28 years and is therefore protected for a full 95 years from the date of publication. While the 1923 date can be avery useful rule of thumb for determining US status, it is by no means absolute. That's why our copyright reviewers also check the Dover, Kalmus, Masters and Lucks catalogs.
DaveF
regular poster

Post by DaveF »

There you are - told you there'd be some bit of law I was missing. All clear now - many thanks,

DF